Children's Card Game School

After nearly 20 years of the franchise
It's time to duel again! Sign In or Register

You are not connected. Please login or register

Was Yugi-oh better before XYZ?

Message (Page 1 of 1)

Posted on Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:31 am

So,my question is simple,is not that i dont like xyz, i just think that the game started to degenerate with them.

The previous generation(the sync generation) was all about the skill,not about the decks.U had players doing wicked combos,decks like BW,X-sabers,Morphs,Junk they were all based on skill but in the current meta gamining any noob can buy a tier 1 deck and still manage to get a top spot on a regional tourney.

Xyz just started slowly getting more and more broken, and now it's literally at the point where you can't even make any monster without losing it the next turn.

Just by having a pure lvl 4 deck u gain access to:

-A Judgment Dragon (Exciton Knight)
-A Foolish Burial/stack anything (Lavalval Chain)
-A Tiramisu (Castel)
-A Big Eye/Maestroke mix (Honor ARK)
-A semi Scrap Dragon (Diamond Dire Wolf)
-An Ehren (Evigishki Mertowgeist)
-A Wattgirraffe type thing (Heartlanddraco)
-A Soul Drain (Abyss Dweller)

And honestly, anything you could ever need to win a game at any situation. And for some reason Konami feels they're all fine and healthy for the game.

(This topic is created in another academy by one of my friend).

View user profile

Member [LV4]
Member [LV4]

Posted on Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:37 am

X-Sabers, take skill to pilot? Excuse me sir, what? Game is better after Xyz hit as it gave us more options, it gave us needed counter plays so we could get around some fields. From my point of view Xyz only made the game better, Abyss Dweller is like the best Xyz monster ever as it stops every single Meta Deck (As in decks whom use lots of grave effects).

View user profile http://www.duelacademia.com

Veteran Member [LV3]
Veteran Member [LV3]

Posted on Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:03 am

@Skitoritto wrote:X-Sabers, take skill to pilot? Excuse me sir, what? Game is better after Xyz hit as it gave us more options, it gave us needed counter plays so we could get around some fields. From my point of view Xyz only made the game better, Abyss Dweller is like the best Xyz monster ever as it stops every single Meta Deck (As in decks whom use lots of grave effects).

I've got to agree with Ski here. But, To me the first Yu-Gi-Oh! was good. Y-Gi-Oh! GX was terrible. Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's was awesome. And now Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal is shit. Now, this is just anime wise. But the card games themselves has gotten better and better and better over the years.

View user profile

Member [LV3]
Member [LV3]

Posted on Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:12 am

I find pendulum and xyz good.

More cards mean more variety and that means that more combos can be made now.

As we look through the years (starting with blue-eyes format, where we just summoned blue-eyes and won, to the bad-ass wind-up format, menacing e-dragz and nowadays BA format). If changes aren't made we would still use the boring blue-eyes format.

View user profile

Posted on Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:14 am

I think the big culprit that Xyzs had to offer was that it ruined card variety. It made it so that no matter what deck you run, you're always playing the same cards.

View user profile

Member [LV3]
Member [LV3]

Posted on Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:18 am

@EpicBoss99 wrote:I think the big culprit that Xyzs had to offer was that it ruined card variety. It made it so that no matter what deck you run, you're always playing the same cards.

Not necessarily, people started just switching from tuners to lvl 4 monsters. People still use a lot of synchros and fusions (heck, even Rituals exp. Necloths).

Some people will soon start debating were pendulum good cards for ygo. That's just changing (read evolving), it's bound to happen.

View user profile

Member [LV5]
Member [LV5]

Posted on Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:25 am

Probably because those same few Xyz Monsters you see run can be considered staples?

Most of the common Xyz Monsters are run because they can fit into nearly any deck, and help that deck respond to the threat at hand. Main Decks are consistently different, the only thing similar is their Extra Deck, which probably has a few Xyz Monsters that are similar, and that's it.

And you can't say that Synchro Decks are guiltless in the so-called "ruined card variety" regard. During the Synchro Era, a lot of decks consistently ran the same few Synchro Monsters. Stardust Dragon and Black Rose Dragon especially were commonly seen in most Synchro decks, and as those decks were the fastest of their era, there wasn't much room for anything else. Xyz Monsters gave birth to a wider variety of decks that could be used in a format. Plus, as we've seen, there are decks with special Xyz Monsters that other decks rarely used.

Overall, Xyz Monsters were a healthy addition to the card game. I don't see any "ruined card variety" within this game. I see a wider pool of decks to pull from in a relatively healthy format.

View user profile http://www.duelacademy.org

Member [LV5]
Member [LV5]

Posted on Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:40 am

My only issue with XYZs is that they have too strong of a reward for a simple summoning condition. 2 cards become one is a term used from the very beginning of the game, but overlaying is kind of problematic.

Because these cards have "ammunition" to run their skills, they didn't stop twice to balance said skills, they made them as powerful as they could because of limited usage. Although that sounds good on paper, in practice it breaks the game. The skills are so strong that you win the game with some of the cards written above. All decks have two things: An engine and a purpose to win the game, and honestly... those XYZ cards win games plain and simple.

/opinion

View user profile

Member [LV2]
Member [LV2]

Posted on Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:34 pm

My only problem with Xyzs are Castel,Exciton&101 since they are way toooooooooo cheap...
Except for that my favourite era is E-drags after babies got hit...

View user profile

Sponsored content

Posted

Message (Page 1 of 1)

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum