After nearly 20 years of the franchise
It's time to duel again! Sign In or Register

You are not connected. Please login or register

Literature Subforum: Chapter Problem

Message (Page 1 of 1)

Member [LV3]
Member [LV3]

Posted on Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:53 am

Okay here is the problem I see emerging with Literature subforum: When people write things that have chapters in it, they usually write it in one topic. Problem here are the comments. You write something then comments from people arrive. Then you post again another chapter and then people write on it again etc. With multiple pages there, people lose track of your chapters.

Possible fixes:

1. Create multiple topics for each chapter. Con of this is that those topics won't be stacked together. You know that topics go on top when people reply on them. Possible solution is to create new subforums for successful stories that continue to produce chapters. This is a bad idea since it's not the most active and famous section in DA. Creating even more subforums there will leave people of even browsing through your work. Main Literature section will then have no purpose since most things will have their own subforums under it. End view is that many subforums may create limits for us. We got like 200 forums to create in total. Eventually we risk to fill that number up and we want to leave more space for other possible things in future. We don't want to have to archive your work later on etc.

2. We could try options in moderation area to split the normal replies of a topic, leaving all those chapters stacking together post after post and then merging the replies with it again in hopes that replies will stack after the chapters then lol. Con is of course that all replies would be in one topic which might create some confusion what you comment on at particular moment, however see it like this: you won't see much action in this area anyway, it's better to get replies at least in one topic rather than getting almost none in all your topics if they are separately written. Later then, if some work begins to be very famous and attractive and continue to deliver more chapters with time, we might make it a sticky by creating a subforum for it since its so special Grin

I'm more in favor of 2nd one since its more practical solution. What do you think?

Last edited by Amy Kool on Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:43 am; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

Veteran Member [LV3]
Veteran Member [LV3]

Posted on Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:23 am

Thanks, Amy! I was gonna put this in the suggestion box, but you did it before me Laughing I was seeing this with Linda's novel, glad it's fixed!

View user profile

Member [LV1]
Member [LV1]

Posted on Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:29 am

There is an option 3.

Just edit the original post with any additions and make a new post saying you've updated the OP in order to bump/tell people you've added more. That's what I intended to do. Heck, I'll give you an example. Lemme just write another poem.

View user profile

Member [LV3]
Member [LV3]

Posted on Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:24 am

I think forumotion has a limit per post to 64,000 characters. This should count the ones in spoilers as well, no point in not counting them. Novels with many chapters might see this limitation after a while I think. I did not test this out but i found somewhere in their support forum that this is the limit.

EDIT: Of course, there is an option derived from this that a member can create few posts immediately upon creation of the topic to reserve the space immediately after main post for future chapters. I've seen this people doing at XDA forums for Android when they make a custom ROM or so, they make themselves space with few posts stating that content will be added on the go Grin

View user profile

Member [LV4]
Member [LV4]

Posted on Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:54 am

POPULAR

"This is a bad idea since it's not the most active and famous section in DA."

Oh? But I'm going to make it the best section

View user profile

Member [LV3]
Member [LV3]

Posted on Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:34 am

You surely do have capabilities of that, and of course we would love to see it happen lol, but then it would create the same problem from another perspective: Section too famous would reaquire many subforums due to it being famous which again is a limited resource we have.

I think for now we could stick with one topic and see where that goes. For problems like you have now N, we can let moderators reposition your chapter posts on top of the chain so that they are not overlooked later on. Smile

View user profile

Member [LV5]
Member [LV5]

Posted on Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:35 am

I just want to say that I'm pretty excited about the sub forum. A lot of people interested are very talented. Let's make it happen! I may even join with some of my silly short stories.

View user profile

Member [LV4]
Member [LV4]

Posted on Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:24 pm

POPULAR

Amy Kool wrote:You surely do have capabilities of that, and of course we would love to see it happen lol, but then it would create the same problem from another perspective: Section too famous would reaquire many subforums due to it being famous which again is a limited resource we have.

I think for now we could stick with one topic and see where that goes. For problems like you have now N, we can let moderators reposition your chapter posts on top of the chain so that they are not overlooked later on. Smile

That would be great~thanks!

View user profile

Member [LV3]
Member [LV3]

Posted on Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:43 am

So yeah then this is solved.

View user profile

Sponsored content

Posted

Message (Page 1 of 1)

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum