You are not connected. Please login or register

[Americans] College Financial Help

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Message (Page 2 of 2)

Member [LV5]
Member [LV5]

Posted on Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:30 pm

First topic message reminder :

Okay, so I made this topic really quickly because apparently there's a whole lot of people who don't know about this.

So, if you're an American student, or a student who is currently residing in the United States of America, and you want to go to an American University, but are struggling with money, there's something that can help you.

The United States has this thing call the FAFSA, and it's a series of documents that you fill out online and submit to the government, which will then assess your financial needs and report these to the universities that you are applying to so that, if you get accepted, they will help you cover the expenses you need help covering.

The web address for this is www.fafsa.gov and it's super quick and easy. It'll take you an hour, simply because there's a lot to fill out, but don't let that discourage you. It's a great way to get the financial help you need to get you through school.

Also, you're going to need your parents/guardians present for it because they have to give their financial information. If your parents are divorced, you basically get to pick whose financial info to use.

In short. With your parents, take an hour to fill out these forms during the January before you plan to attend college, and in return you get FREE MONEY that you DO NOT HAVE TO PAY BACK that is yours to SPEND ON COLLEGE. FREE MONEY FOR COLLEGE! What could be better!? (Do not answer that question.)

Anyhow, hopefully the FAFSA will help you guys, and I wish you all good luck.

EDIT: Something else to note. Remember that you need to go to www.fafsa.gov to fill out the FAFSA. There is another site that has .com instead of .gov, and that is a scam. The FAFSA is COMPLETELY FREE because the idea is to HELP YOU GET MONEY!

EDIT 2: Additionally, the FAFSA is something you fill out EVERY year that you're in university, unless you do not want that free money. So make sure, every year that you're in university, fill out the FAFSA in January, and submit in early-mid February.

Information Night Info: Okay, so let's get some more stuff about the FAFSA out there.

So, for the FAFSA there are some things that you need to get straight. The first is your name. Your name on your FAFSA must, must, MUST be your full, legal name. So let's say you're a Chinese immigrant with citizenship, and you go by John, but your legal name is Shi-Lun Li, then you need to put down Shi-Lun Li. Also, let's say you go by Chris, but your actual first name is Christine. You need to put down Christine, otherwise the FAFSA will not recognise you.

You will need both your Social Security Card information and your Parent's Social Security Card information for this document. Now, let's say you were born here and are an American citizen, but your parent is an immigrant from South Africa. Your parent will probably have an Alien Registration Number which they will use in place of your Social Security Card. In addition, if you're a legal immigrant to the United States, but are not a citizen, you will have an Alien Registration Number that you can use in place of the SSC. Now, if you are here illegally, you won't have either of these, but can still fill out the FAFSA. Unfortunately, you won't get Federal Grants, but they will pass the FAFSA onto the universities you've applied to, which can still allocate you money to use, as long as you promise them that you will get yourself U.S. Citizenship as soon as you possibly can.

Now, the FAFSA will ask you for your financial information, as well as your parent's. This information will ask you about your income and the taxes you've filed. If, at this point in time, you work a job that gives you a steady pay, you MUST report this on the FAFSA. This will be the same for your parents. Now, all the numbers they use will be based on the previous year's taxes, most of which are being filed right now. What you do for this part of the FAFSA is make an estimate based on the previous year's taxes, and then update the FAFSA when you have filed your taxes. Don't wait until you've filed taxes, because then you're competing for smaller amounts of money. Fill and file the FAFSA now, because you can ALWAYS go back and update it later.

So, some people have parents that, for whatever reason, work jobs outside the United States and make their money in, say, Hong Kong. If this is your situation, YOUR PARENTS STILL NEED TO PUT THEIR INFO DOWN!!!! They will need to convert their earnings into United States Dollars and provide the information for your FAFSA so that the government can properly evaluate how much financial aid your really need.

Oh, one last point financially. Every time you fill out the FAFSA, you MUST put down your parent's financial information, even if you are 18. FAFSA land does not recognise you as an independent person until you are 24, so until then, every time you fill out the FAFSA, your parents will need to supply information to you.

Guys, sorry about this, but in order to receive financial aid from the FAFSA, you need to sign up for the Selective Service. If you don't know what that is, it's basically the Draft, which means that, if the United States goes into a war and decides that they need to draft soldiers, you are eligible to be dragged into the United States Armed Forces and serve your country on the battlefield. Girls, you're in luck. You don't need to do that! HOORAY FOR SEXISM!!!

Now, final point. If you are well off, and believe that you don't need to do the FAFSA because, after federal loans, you're going to be fine, you're wrong. Even if you don't qualify for need-based aid, firstly, the FAFSA can still get you money (which is AWESOME!) and secondly, if you want to be able to apply for Federal Loans, you need to complete and submit the FAFSA! Ain't that swell?

So yeah, that's all the info I have for you about the FAFSA. Hope you guys enjoy.

Last edited by Naito Raizu on Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:12 pm; edited 4 times in total

View user profile http://www.duelacademy.org

Member [LV5]
Member [LV5]

Posted on Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:09 pm

That sounds great, Amy. Over here parents have their hands tied. Kids can be brats and if you so much as threaten them they can go to the authorities, cry them a river and you go to jail.

View user profile

Member [LV5]
Member [LV5]

Posted on Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:52 pm

So, I had an information night tonight and will be editing the main post with more information about the FAFSA shortly.

Member [LV4]
Member [LV4]

Posted on Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:39 am

@jjh927 wrote:
, but couldn't cuz I don't know my social security number, and my parents won't give it to me,

90% sure your parents aren't legally allowed to do that as it is part of your right to an identity and your classification as an american citizen. Probably comes close to identity theft as well. Tell em to stuff it and give you your number.

My legal rights are always violated. My dad was arrested and my parents lost custody of me for good reasons. My life is f*cked up.

View user profile

Member [LV5]
Member [LV5]

Posted on Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:09 am

Whoever is your guardian now should have your SSC. You should check with them about it.

Member [LV4]
Member [LV4]

Posted on Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:07 am

@Naito Raizu wrote:Whoever is your guardian now should have your SSC. You should check with them about it.

They do not have it.

View user profile

Member [LV5]
Member [LV5]

Posted on Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:03 pm

Then you need to go to court and have them get your information off of your parents. Withholding it can count as theft.

Sponsored content

Posted

Message (Page 2 of 2)

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum