You are not connected. Please login or register

Small Forum Enhancements: General Forum Updates

Message (Page 1 of 1)

Amy Kool

Amy Kool

Member [LV3]
Member [LV3]

Posted Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:42 am

Hello folks, it has been around a week since we started to work on the DA again. Last time we had some Chatbox updates and this time we compiled all other updates forum had in past few days. Some of you already noticed few things here and there but let me start one by one.

1. Quick Reply

Small Forum Enhancements: General Forum Updates VyP0mh5

We wanted to make Quick Reply box a little bit outstanding and differentiate it from its classical "sceditor" look that all forums have. We kind of merged buttons and everything in the outer box so that inner one vanished completely.

2. Post Reply / New Topic / New PM

Small Forum Enhancements: General Forum Updates Je5hlDQ

You remember this as plain bright colored menu with sceditor being also silver/white. The textarea was pretty much screwed and borders were different for post reply, for new pm and also there were differences when toggling between wysiwyg and bbcode modes. Now all that is gone, the reply box looks same across all modes and pages. We got rid of some extra spacing and borders. Overall, important parts have outstanding colors.

3. Private Messaging Interface

Small Forum Enhancements: General Forum Updates HtrHxRE

As you can see the private messaging page looks really organized now. This menu stays even when you open a message, which was slightly different before. Now your PM system looks much better. You may wanna try it out and send a message to someone lol. Notice that avatars and names not being aligned we left on purpose like that for now.

4. Posts since last visit (or any other search results page)

Small Forum Enhancements: General Forum Updates HSYk0br

Some of you may have noticed it for quite some time now, we have changed the layout of some things here. It was looking like a table, having section, replies and view all being in one line next to each other not leaving much space for topic name. Also it was all same font size and not bold meaning it was very hard to differentiate between things. Now we made things look like topic list or section list on index page where author and section are listed under the topic name and replies and views count stacked together. It looks neat and appealing.

5. Memberlist, Profile View and some other Tabs

We made most tabs look the same now, which was a bit different before. We use now our style across almost all pages (dark grey and blue combination of bars).

6. Portal Bugs

To some people, when using different browsers than Firefox had those tiles not scrolling due to mime types issue in code. Now we fixed that part and they should slide and play in every browser (except maybe IE, but what does work well in IE lol. Spartan is replacing it soon anyway). Also some of the things got screwed up when viewed with less percentage like 90% or 30% (zoomed in). Now we fixed those bugs too as much as we could. Portal should be consistent now to all differences in browsers or viewing angles.

7. GoToTop Icon

This icon was always visible and when clicked it would just put you to the top of the page instantly. Now it does not show until you scroll down a bit, and when clicked it will smoothly go back to top. Minor thing, but it bugged me totally.

8. Forum Menu as a Widget

Small Forum Enhancements: General Forum Updates Ed2Fceg

Of course, it wouldn't be nice to make updates without some major new thing. This time we made a new widget, nothing too big but we think that it will be quite helpful to some people. Namely, you know that icon on top that has Posts since last visit and those links. Pretty much we click on that every time we visit the forum or just follow the recent posts widget. It works when you hover with your mouse over it and opens you the menu with links. However, some people have it hard using it via touch. It is too small to tap and sometimes it immediately opens the 1st link in the row which gets frustrating. We like that small icon so we did not want to remove it totally, but we made a new widget with major 4 options as icons. Once you hover the icon, it will display text telling you what the icon does. Advantage of this is when you are on some page other than topics, like private messaging, or viewing someone's profile etc. Then you have to go to index page to be able to click on the menu. Now widget is almost everywhere and it will save your time. Besides it looks pro and we can see some forums fetching this idea from us lol.

9. New Button Styles

Small Forum Enhancements: General Forum Updates X3tnl4J

The Post buttons like Quote, Edit, Delete, Post Reply, New Topic, New PM, Topic Locked etc got new images. We got inspired by forumotion support forum buttons. These look pretty much the same, with some color and icon variations.

Also our standard CSS buttons, Send, Reset, Submit, Search and all those got styling to match everything in the forum.

10. Main Banner Changed

Small Forum Enhancements: General Forum Updates Co9T8gJ

We might add things as multiple banners being on different pages or banners changing in different parts of the day, or just randomly changing every time you reload the page. We will see about that.

11. Three New Sections

Small Forum Enhancements: General Forum Updates FCeFReu

When we visit DA on a daily basis, we want to get some useful information too. A lot of YGO news and stuff like that pops up almost every day while we don't have much interesting and valuable things in off topic section. Recent topic of Naito about financing for college and the interest of ppl in such kind of topic made us think about what we can place to ppl here and make them know more. So Science Labz should put interesting and entertaining things connected to science while it does not clog you with boring data. Think of it like Brain Games and other interesting facts from such shows. Tech Buzz is all about new gadgets and information from tech world. We want to know best apps for something, or new things that got released, where we can get some devices cheaper etc. Life Hackz, as the name suggests is inspired by sites such as LifeHacker and MakeUseOf that teach you things fast and easy. From how to get bananas last longer to other simple hacks. It is a section that makes you smarter with the "wow" effect. We think these 3 sections will bring our members a lot of valuable informations while being at DA.

I should stop writing this right? It's enough for this topic. There are some more minor things that got fixed, like send button effect in chat etc but those are tiny enhancements that you should not even know about. Maybe I forgot to mention some major thing too, but I will do if I remember lol. We did quite a lot of work this week.

We hope you like them changes and if something is not like we described here, please notify us. All feedback, more suggestions and stuff like that is highly welcome Neo

Gamagori

Gamagori

Posted Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:47 am

POPULAR

FORUM HYPE.

Amy Kool

Amy Kool

Member [LV3]
Member [LV3]

Posted Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:54 am

I forgot to mention, if you want to compare how all these pages normally look, just go to other academies and compare em. Of course find forums that use PunBB for more precise comparison.

Kurono Satō

Kurono Satō

Veteran Member [LV3]
Veteran Member [LV3]

Posted Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:08 pm

POPULAR

Explains that little widget that I saw earlier today. XD

Amy Kool

Amy Kool

Member [LV3]
Member [LV3]

Posted Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:14 pm

This widget'z becoming famoz, believe me Grin

Kurono Satō

Kurono Satō

Veteran Member [LV3]
Veteran Member [LV3]

Posted Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:49 pm

Knowing me.... I won't use it. XD

Amy Kool

Amy Kool

Member [LV3]
Member [LV3]

Posted Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:55 pm

Don't make me erase the other method, forcing you into using it! Grin

Kurono Satō

Kurono Satō

Veteran Member [LV3]
Veteran Member [LV3]

Posted Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:57 pm

Nah. You don't have to do that, Amy. XD I'll use it. Just won't use it a WHOLE lot till I get use to it being there. XD

Amy Kool

Amy Kool

Member [LV3]
Member [LV3]

Posted Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:05 pm

That, I can accept.

LOKOS

LOKOS

Member [LV1]
Member [LV1]

Posted Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:48 pm

Hah Well I really like the Forum menu Widget :> Nice updates!

Skitoritto

Skitoritto

Member [LV4]
Member [LV4]

Posted Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:58 am

POPULAR

Forum menu would look a lot better if it where orange Wink.

http://www.duelacademia.com

Kurono Satō

Kurono Satō

Veteran Member [LV3]
Veteran Member [LV3]

Posted Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:16 am

Skitoritto wrote:Forum menu would look a lot better if it where orange Wink.
 Post #11

I like it the way it is. o.o

Heatnix

Heatnix

Member [LV5]
Member [LV5]

Posted Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:37 am

Duel Academia intensifies.

Amy Kool

Amy Kool

Member [LV3]
Member [LV3]

Posted Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:41 am

He wants orange just because he is orange Razz

I think we might put one organe widget soon though lol.

Sponsored content

Posted

Message (Page 1 of 1)

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum