Children's Card Game School

After nearly 20 years of the franchise
It's time to duel again! Sign In or Register

You are not connected. Please login or register

July 2K16 - Judgment Day for YGO Online Simulators?!

Message (Page 1 of 1)

The Engineer

The Engineer

Administrator
Administrator

Posted Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:08 pm

I really have a great timing for coming back to the game. Just day or two before, I was trying to login to DN to see if I have any decks from old times saved, but a green message saying DN has been shut down appeared. Okay I never really was into DN, that was the time I quit YGO anyway.

However, this YGOPro seemed too good to be true even back then, because it featured automatic moves. I just downloaded it yesterday, played with some premade AI decks since I have no decks on my own, nor understand 90% of the cards seen there. Just now, I was trying to see the dates of banlists coming out, seems like it changed to 4 times per year? Last time I played it was two I think... So I searched reddit for rumors maybe of the upcoming list only to see that YGOPro got shut down too.

Man this game really doesn't want me back. What now, don't tell me I should just go and install some GBA 2D stuff on my PC and enjoy cards that have in total 2 pixels?!

I suppose all those YGOPro based spin-offs like Devpro, Salvation and others are automatically shut down since the main mechanics updates were all done by Percival? Most probably it will because obviously whoever is doing this, won't stop until we won't have anything to play online.

Does this mean some decent KONAMI YGO Online game (with no 3D animations and more frequent updates than once in a century) is coming out soon or they just changed the politics when it comes to playing their game online?
Share your thoughts and let's try to clarify what is happening really Confused

Heatnix

Heatnix

Member [LV5]
Member [LV5]

Posted Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:15 pm

YGOPro is out? That's sad. I really liked that one...

Well, there's a free, 3DS YGO game coming out for the 3DS but not everyone has access to it. I'm guessing online dueling is dying unless someone takes over.

The Engineer

The Engineer

Administrator
Administrator

Posted Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:05 am

3DS and al those platforms are bad for YGO. You can't really have community unless it's on PC or Mobile. They say those 3 games are coming out this year and that might be reason why they are doing it, but Power of Chaos was the only thing they released ever that was good. In those old times of course. When multiplayer games happened, they should've just add cards to that platform and support it online, but they have weird business plans. Some other company that has great in-game purchase mechanics and millions of players are buying stuff in it would probably make good money off YGO, but KONAMI simply has no logic when it comes to these things it seems to me. They are more like trying to copy paste real life TCG to online player base, which never worked well. They lost millions in developing those games like YGO Online or these fail mobile games. I actually noticed two very bad things that most probably drive most members away from their games: They are too slow on updates, they happen like never and the game mechanics is usually packed with some visual effects like monsters animations which immediately tells you that there won't be many updates (every new card needs new animation to be actually played in game).
Some would say it is the card pool which you never have access to in those games, you have to "earn it", but I think if the game was fast enough and updated regularly, people would adapt to not having all cards in the beginning, but progressing through game, similar to real life.

As for YGOPro, there are ways since it is downloadable platform. It can be made IP dueling like that JP Project was before. You use something like hamachi for vpn to have people gathered and share IP's there and then you input opponent's IP in game and host it. That is of course if Pervical is persistant to keep YGOPro rolling out with updates as an open source project somewhere unofficially and avoid legal issues. However they all might have been threatened with a big lawsuit that would charge both him and DN owner with millions of dollars, it surely can be the case. Copyright lawsuit is always huge thing to handle for an individual. If that is the case and they fear from it, it might be the end of an era for online ygo. Still things like JP Project would go alive and people would play YGO, but that would mean downgrading to something like YVD used to be...

Heatnix

Heatnix

Member [LV5]
Member [LV5]

Posted Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:52 pm

What a sad year for YGO online...

The Engineer

The Engineer

Administrator
Administrator

Posted Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:44 pm

All cards are still open. This can be tossed in the favor of free duelists too. Though, it all depends how far will KONAMI (NAS) go with this.

One approach is that they close everything. A big lawsuit will make simply everyone quit and leave the developing of something that is clearly copyright infringement. This way we hope KONAMI's YGO Online airing in winter this year will be gigantic and reasonably playable for a free to play player.

Another is that they just want majority of players off these systems so that they can force community to use their upcoming game massively. This leaves pro players to stick with YGOPro (unofficially updated and played with servers like checkmate or LAN mode with those hamachi kind of things). Majority of noobs will go off YGOPro and you will have a more filtered community to play and have fun. Also pro players would still consider also playing YGO Online if its any good and free to play, so this way we would have more options and hopefully get one decent KONAMI's game while keeping our free system in tact.

Let's hope it is the 2nd approach Grin

Heatnix

Heatnix

Member [LV5]
Member [LV5]

Posted Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:23 pm

Let's hope for something like that. All we need is a hardcore fan with time and will to make it happen.

The Engineer

The Engineer

Administrator
Administrator

Posted Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:31 pm

They just released Checkmate server as open source script so now everyone can simply host it. As far as I know, Percival did not publish his AI script as open source yet, he might though considering now we need community to take up on the project to support it from all the sides against pay to pay services. So, it is almost all set for an unlimited YGOPro platform that can't be stopped by copyright infringement.

It is still a bit uncertain what will happen, but the odds are currently with YGOPro.

Heatnix

Heatnix

Member [LV5]
Member [LV5]

Posted Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:14 pm

The Engineer wrote: So, it is almost all set for an unlimited YGOPro platform that can't be stopped by copyright infringement.

Now THAT sounds promising.

Sponsored content

Posted

Message (Page 1 of 1)

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum